Wednesday, December 10, 2014

We Are All Different...

I like being different. I like it. And at times I don't like it much at all.

You see we live in a society that claims to encourage diversity. Where we are encouraged to express our differences.

Unless those differences are religion, sexuality, race, political ideation, etc.

We can be different. But we can only be different in ways that are deemed acceptable.

We are ALL different. And for some reason so many people view that as an obstacle. I'm not trying to point fingers (Congress, I'm looking at you) but it seems like people think differences should clash and not go well together.

Let's look at magnets. Which sides stick together? I'll give you a hint: North and north do not go together. North and south go together.

Let's look at an example that compares two living creatures.

My best friend and I are two very very different people. Yes we have some things in common. But for every thing we have in common there is an uncountable number of differences between us. But we do not treat those differences as obstacles. We do not try and make the other person change to fit the mould in which we fit.

So why is that so hard for others? Why do people have it in their mind that there is only one way to live life? Why do people think there is only one correct religion, one correct sexuality, one superior race?

Who are we to play God or to be the judge?

Who are we to say that one lifestyle that does not bring harm to others is wrong or less than another lifestyle?

This is the 21st century. We have pre-sliced bread, Netflix, and phones so smart they can do anything except wipe your ass (but that could be next, I don't know, technology is crazy). But we can't accept some differences that make people who they are.

It is not our place to tell someone who they should or should not be. That is part of the journey of life and it is a journey that can only be experienced by the person on which it is bestowed.

And everyone deserves to be comfortable on their journey. Everyone should be able to live the life that they want to live without someone pointing their fingers and saying "Wrong."

Everyone should live their life and be happy with who they are.

Today I found on Tumblr:

I need this in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment