Thursday, September 5, 2013

Life on a Tin Platter...

They say you learn things about yourself in college. Here's something I learned very quickly: I am not a party goer so, mom and grandma, if you're reading this, you can breathe easy now.

Everyone's going out tonight. So here I am!

My birthday was three days ago. Now, I'm new to the college world. But from birth through high school I've always been under the impression that the birthday fairy follows you around all day (invisible) and makes your special day as perfect as can possibly be.

College taught me that this is so far from true. There's no such thing as a birthday fairy. Fairies aren't real, apparently.

There is no magical law that demands the universe to make everything fall into perfect alignment on your day of birth.

Why yes, I did have a slightly sour day on my birthday, thanks for asking.

You know, that's life though. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. And if you fall down you have to get up, dust yourself off, and keep going. So I spent most of my birthday in a car driving back to school and in a doctor's office. It happens. Hopefully I'll have plenty more birthdays. And, because I believe every cloud has a silver lining if you're willing to look for it, I even got to go out the next night and celebrate the next day with some really awesome people.

Moral of the story: Life won't always hand you life in a silver platter.

Sometimes the platter is made out of tin. You just have to appreciate the fact that it still shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment