Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Chronicles of Narnia (and by Narnia I mean MASC)...

The week of MASC's Summer Leadership Workshop in Fulton, Missouri is quite honestly the most chaotic week I think I've ever experienced. The week of MASC's Summer Leadership Workshop in Fulton, Missouri as a Junior Counselor (JC) was the most satisfyingly chaotic week of my life.

I was blessed enough to get to spend 7 days with 52 of the most outgoing, crazy, fun, and supportive people in the whole world. Over those 7 days we each got to watch 637 of the state's best leaders grow as a person and develop their leadership skills. I don't think I've ever been happier in my entire life than during this past week.

I was lucky enough to get to spend time with Council E this past week. Watching them grow together and form bonds was magical. They became a team and a family. They became important to each other. They overcame obstacles, had fun, shared laughs, and created memories. They experienced the Magic of Fulton.

In the same way that council E bonded, the JCs for camp also bonded. I don't think I will ever find a group of people that I trust more than the JCs for the 2013 MASC Summer Leadership Workshop. They all seem to enjoy a good poop joke. They're all outgoing and helpful. They mean the world to me, and I miss them terribly.

I think I understand how the Pevensie children felt in the Chronicles of Narnia felt. They went to this amazing land and had adventures that changed their lives. Then they had to go home. They had to leave all of their friends behind and return to normal lives with normal people in a normal world.

That's kind of what leaving Fulton felt like... minus the talking animals, deadly battles, and potentially lethal plot-line. Fulton was an amazing land and the week was a life changing journey. Eventually it was over and we had to go home. Most of our friends live across the state and we had to go back to a life full of people who don't really understand why our week was the single best week of our lives.

There are a few differences, though. Yes, we had to go home. But some of our friends are still nearby. Yes, a lot of our friends live across the state. But we don't have to use a magical wardrobe to go see them. We just need gas money and the time to make the drive. People might not understand why MASC changed our lives, but we can show them. We can ooze gusto because that's our job.

 We are the ones who are supposed to give Gusto to the people who haven't experienced it yet.

We are the ones who are supposed to step up and give a helping hand when times are hard.

We are the ones who are supposed to help change and better the world.

And we can do all of these things together. We might be separated by distance and time, but distance and time are a small issue that can be easily overcome.

I will never forget this past week. It has left an impression in my memories that is far too deep to ever fade away. There's a famous saying that goes "It's not goodbye. It's I'll see you later." Google couldn't tell me where it was from (which was shocking), but I think it's a good quote to hold on to.

We might not be together physically anymore, but emotionally we're all connected, and we WILL see each other again.

Regina Spektor says it best in her song "The Call" with the lyrics "Let your memories grow stronger and stronger, 'til they're before your eyes. They'll come back when it's over. No need to say goodbye." I know in my heart we'll see each other again. So I refuse to say goodbye, because goodbye feels permanent. So I'll say this:

See you later, MASC.

No comments:

Post a Comment