Saturday, April 13, 2013

Anticipation...

If my senior year of high school was the mile run that I'm forced to suffer through in gym, this portion of the year would be what I like to call "The last stretch." It's that part of the mile where athletically challenged kids (Such as myself) are super winded, have a stitch in their side, but you know if you don't finish everyone will laugh at you. 

My trick to actually finishing the mile before class is over, though, is to envision the satisfaction finishing the run will bring. So that's how I'm going to power through the last month of school (and there really is only a month left of my high school career): I'm going to envision all of the fun I'm going to have this summer, and if I overcome the obstacle that is senioritis I will have earned the right to have a great summer. 

Things I am looking forward to this summer:

1. Life guarding. Is that weird? I'm looking forward to working. I mean... "working." I think I have the best possible summer job. Sit there, get a tan, get paid. The hard part of my job so far? I had to sit there in the rain once. I have to check the chemicals in the pool. I clean the bathroom on occasion. I mean, as long as nobody starts drowning it's pretty easy (so don't get any ideas, Woodneath residents). The best part of this summer is probably the fact that I'm friends with a majority of the people at my pool this summer. Oh, and the money.

2. Royal's games. So this weekend I learned that, SURPRISE, you can go to sporting events and have fun if you're in good company. Who knew? I for sure want to go back. It's a good opportunity to just relax and enjoy myself, and we all totally deserve to relax and enjoy ourselves after the stresses of high school are put behind us.

3. Worlds of Fun... I hope. Rollercoasters really bring out my inner adrenaline junky, and I promised myself that there were a few people who were going to get over their fear of amusement park rides whether they liked it or not. Challenge accepted.

4. My final two youth symphony concerts. Youth symphony is a life changing program that helps anyone and everyone evolve as a musician, and I'm going to cherish these last two concerts. I don't know what I'll do with my Sundays after June.

5. My senior recital. People don't appreciate the dedication and discipline it takes to be a musician. This is my chance to show everyone what I've been working on for the past 7 and a half years. 

6. Potentially MASC camp? That has yet to be determined, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hold my breath and say a quick prayer that I can go back one more time. 

7. Spending time with friends. Whether it's at the pool, or sitting around a fire in someone's driveway, I'm going to cherish the time I get to spend with people this summer. I go off to big boy school in a few months, and a lot of us will be parting ways very soon. Who am I kidding? I'm going to be a hot mess on move-in day. Someone's going to have to hold me. 

I'm not sure what the future holds in store for me, but I'm going to hold my head high and hope for a good summer. This is the final stretch of the race, and I plan on finishing strong. 

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone!

-- Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment