Cheers to the new year everyone! I hope 2012 is treating you well so far, and I hope you're sticking to your resolutions if you've made them. That's actually what I decided to write about. With every new year people seem to make these "resolutions" about something in their life they're going to change, however people seldom stick to their resolution.
According to an article from Time Magazine titled "Top 10 Commonly Broken New Year's Resolutions" (I'll post the link at the end of the post, if you're interested in reading more) the top ten broken resolutions are:
1. Lose weight and get fit
2. Quit smoking
3. Learn something new (like a language... not just any random little thing)
4. Eat healthier and diet
5. Get out of debt and save money
6. Spend more time with family
7. Travel to new places
8. Be less stressed
10. Drink less
Now, because I am undoubtedly mainstream, I too have told myself that there are things that I will change about my life, some of them are even on the list of top ten broken resolutions. I hope beyond hope that I won't break these resolutions, because they are things that I think will allow me to live a happier life and benefits others. Fingers crossed.
Things I really want to accomplish in 2012 are as follows:
- I want to work on being a nicer person. I will be the first to admit that I am a sarcastic jerk 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I'm sleeping. I really want to work on that. More for the benefit of others than for my own benefit (that's a nice thing to do, right?). Maybe smiling more will help.
- When it comes to food I want to eat healthier. While I'm not necessarily trying to "shed a few pounds" I've finally realized (after several bags of chips and tons of candy) that this is my body and I need to take care of it. Besides... carrots don't taste that bad.
- I need to start exercising. While I don't aspire to be a body builder (you can laugh at that, I did too) I would like to not look like a walrus this summer. No pain no gain, right?
- I will start posting on this blog more. I made the dang thing, I need to use it. So if you've been following along (bless you), here's me saying that hopefully I will start writing more.
- I'm going to start living my life for me. Pretty self explanatory. I'm no longer going to kiss the butt's of other people.
- I want to do more volunteer work to help those less fortunate than myself. I got to go package food to help feed starving kids with the most incredible youth group... ever. The feeling of knowing that you're going to make a positive difference in someone else's life is the most wonderful feeling ever. Volunteer work is such a pleasing thing, and I want to do more of it.
- I solemnly swear that I will spend more time with my friends (sorry, friends), because they're the coolest people in the world. Period.
- I'll start taking school seriously. I don't think anybody whines and complains about high school more than I do. I do admit that it's important, and I'm going to start working harder on getting better grades.
-I'm going to watch my language. Cursing like a sailor probably never helped me get anywhere in life (please not that there will be the occasional slip if, say, I stub my toe, cut myself, or get jumped by a gang of thugs).
Yes, I do realize that I just sat here and listed off things that I "promise" to do. If you're reading this, please feel free to remind me to do any of these things as soon as I neglect them. That would be super helpful. For example, whenever I cuss, please feel free to call me out on it and tell me to stop. Sometimes hearing something from another person instead of that little voice inside of your head can be good for you.
Well, here's to 2012. I hope this year is fantastic for all of you! Stay chill.